Spring at Immanuel

Spring at Immanuel
Beeeeautiful Crab Tree

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back to the grind already?

Such a great summer, and today is the first day of, dare I say it, FALL. I know, I know, it is a beautiful season, with the leaves changing color, the pumpkins all over the place, and Halloween (actually that would be Reformation Day for you Lutherans). But Fall only means one thing for me, WINTER is just around the corner here in northern Michigan. Sure, it is a time to cheer the Buckeyes, rub the scarlet and gray in the wounds of the U of M Wolverines, and to take in the last few rays of sunshine and warmth. But Fall is a passing fancy here. We will soon be in for deep snow, absent members off hunting deer, and the return of gray and cloudy days, long nights, and whiteouts.

I guess I shouldn't fret so much. After all, it is still the middle of September. But you will remember that we got buried last year in October, and it did not go away until April. That is way too long. Heck, the youth even went to a Corn Maze at the end of October, and we had to walk it in the snow. Yuck! May God be gentler on us this year!

Anyway, Mary is back at school, with a fresher spirit, more computer skills, and a handful of new electronic toys to help her in her work. She is coming home each day a bit more relaxed, and more positive than last year. That is good for her, her health and the sanity of the household. Allison is back at school, finally in her much-waited-for program. She will be tested well this year. David, well, David is David. Still hoping to finish his associates degree, looking for a job, and enjoying his music. Angela is hoping to buy a home yet this Fall, and settle into the American Dream. Me? Well, I am still trying to get back to work, go to meetings, and continue leading this congregation down the way of the Gospel The ELCA's decision this summer does not help me do that, but family will be family.

So, I guess it is back to the grind. Continue the fight, the run, or whatever we are calling it these days, and praying that we can all keep our healthcare in tact.

No comments: